Happy Friday! It’s been too long, R.S. readers, but “This Week in Psychedelics” has returned, now as “This Week in Psychedelic Culture,” riffing off the new /x/Psychedelics section. We’ll conclude each week with our top pics of blogs and longforms on our site you might have missed:
- Amber Lyon joins Rak Razam for an episode of In a Perfect World. Together they discuss Amber’s journey from CNN journalist from Middle-America to “Innerspace as “psychedelic whistleblower.”
- Magic Mushrooms Inspired Frank Herbert’s Dune. Hear it from Paul Stamets, visionary scientist and advocate of fungi bioremediation.
- The War on Drugs = The War on Consciousness. This video has been making the social media arounds and features a series of clips of Graham Hancock riffing on the sovereignty of our own consciousness. A must watch.
- Aya: Awakenings in San Francisco. Watch this excellent full panel discussion featuring Rak Razam, Erik Davis, Jonathan Talat Phillips, Magenta Imagination Healer, Dr. Bruce Damer, Diana Slattery and Dr. Juan. Together they discuss the rise of what they tentatively describe as the “Western Ayahuasca Tradition,” the role of DMT visions, entities, spirit guides, and planetary intelligence.
- Actress Susan Sarandon comes out of the psychedelic closet in an interview with The Daily Beast.
- Trippy Portraits of Famous Psychonauts. Nicolas Rosenfield has produced a capturing series of portraits of famous individuals like Carlos Castaneda, John C. Lilly and Nick Sand.
- Psychedelic Salon: “What do you make of this?” Or so asks Terence McKenna in this latest publication from the McKenna archives. “Ideologies are cultural memes,” he states, “they are the most confining of cultural memes… That’s where culture gets real ugly.” Listen for more.
- Dr. Joe Tafur Explains Peyote and Ayahuasca. RESET ME’s podcast episode with Dr. Joe Tafur on combining traditional Western medicine with psychedelic plants.
- Stanislav Grof and Richard Tarns: The Birth of a New Worldview. A fascinating excerpt from Renn Butler’s upcoming book Pathways to Wholeness on the combinatorial power of Grof’s holotropic and psychedelic work, and Richard Tarnas’ archetypal astrology.
- Cosmic Consciousness, Transcendence and Dissociation: an excerpt from Ralph Metzner’s new book, The Toad and the Jaguar published by Green Earth Foundation.
That should keep you busy, weekend readers! If you have news suggestions, leave a comment or catch us on Twitter: @RealitySandwich.
See you next week on /x/Psychedelic Culture.