The Seasteading Institute is developing floating cities to peacefully test new ideas for government. Successful communities can inspire change in governments around the world.
They are hosting an architectural design competition for architects, engineers, designers and students. You can influence the design of the first floating city and take a shot at winning a cash prize, an internship at DeltaSync, and having your design featured in international media.
A brief intro is below and you can see the full contest guidelines here: http://www.seasteading.org/designcontest/
From executive director Randolph Hencken: “Only having 193 countries for 7 billion people, there’s not much choice there. I have more choice in soda than I have in government. But if there were thousands of cities at sea, we could find what suits our personal needs. When we live in a world that is as diverse as we are, we shouldn’t all be forced into the same hole.”
Architects, students, engineers, and designers are invited to participate in the contest and develop ideas for a floating city stationed in protected ocean waters, such as in a bay.
The competition is open to individuals and teams.
All contestants must review The Seasteading Institute/DeltaSync Floating City Project Design and Implementation Concept report, to understand the foundation and constraints of the project.
We invite participants to create designs for a small city with at least 10 platforms which contain housing, hotel/resort, and office/commercial spaces with the following criteria:
- Designs can be created for 50 meter sided square, pentagon, and/or hexagon platforms (see DeltaSync concept for foundational information; the report does not contain hexagons, but we are allowing them for this contest).
- Buildings should be no more than 3 stories tall.
- Structures can take up to 80% of the platform, leaving at least the other 20% for walkways, gardens, and outdoor space
- Designs should account for repositioning, such that the east-west/north-south positioning is not static.
- Designs should account for repositioning, such that it wouldn’t matter what modules are directly attached as a neighbor. This will allow for fluidity in rearranging a sea-city.
- Designs should take into account sustainable energy practices, such as solar, wind, wave, and tidal power, and natural heating, cooling, and ventilation. The platforms are not intended to be connected to land for electricity, water etc.
- Designs should consider wave action, and withstanding severe ocean storms.
- The entries should at least have one image from 3D perspective (render or sketch) and one section with floor plans, and one overall section.
1st Place – $1500
2nd Place – $1000
3rd Place – $500
People’s Choice – $500
Winners and special mentions will be published on The Seasteading Institute’s website, and will likely be featured in the forthcoming Seasteading Book to be published by Simon & Schuster in 2016.
One contestant will be offered an internship at DeltaSync in the Netherlands.
Winners can expect their designs to be reprinted/posted in all kinds of media. Winners of The Seasteading Institute’s 2009 design contest have been featured in hundreds of media outlets including:
The Economist, Discovery Magazine, The Colbert Report, The Daily Show, Factor, Next City, Monocle, e27, Bloomberg TV, Bloomberg Pursuits, The Guardian, Suddeutsche Zeitung, The Independent, Business Insider, BBC.com, Sensa Nostra, h+, New Scientist, Times Online, Marine Insight, Forbes, i09, The Economic Times, The Maritime Exectuvie, Mother Jones, The Huffington Post, SF Weekly, Inc. Magazine, Tech Week Europe, Fox Business, SF Gate, Reason, Yahoo! News, CNN, Wired Magazine, The Wonderful World of Stu, The Stossel Show, NBC LA News, ABC News San Francisco, CBS Sunday Morning, Russia Today, The Verge, DIS Magazine, Tree Hugger, National Public Radio’s website, Mashable, Cryptocoin News, and Inhabitat.
Review the guidelines and register here: http://www.seasteading.org/designcontest/