In this article, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to make mushroom chocolates. Below, you will find a helpful shroom chocolate recipe. In addition, we provide information on the beneficial properties cacao can provide to your entheogenic psilocybin experience.
The combination of cacao and mushrooms has a long history that goes back thousands of years to the Aztecs. Traditionally, practitioners prepared a magic brew of psilocybin and cacao for ceremonies in South America. Aztecs referred to magic mushroom as teonanacátl, the Nahuatl word for “god mushroom” (or “flesh of the gods”). Interestingly, the Latin genus/species for cacao is Theobroma cacao, dervied from the Greek for “food of the gods.”
Combining chocolate with mushrooms is beneficial for a number of reasons. Making mushroom chocolates can be a helpful way to preserve psilocybin, a plant substance notoriously difficult to keep for prolonged periods. In general, mushrooms tend to taste rather gross to many individuals. However, combining chocolate can eliminate the gag factor that may follow when attempting to eat psilocybin on its own.
Beyond cacao’s nutritional values and heightened levels of antioxidants, it is also a mood-enhancing stimulant. Additionally, cacao contains mild levels of monamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI’s). With so many beneficial properties, it’s no wonder that the union of magic mushrooms and chocolate is a holy matrimony.
Mushroom Chocolate Effects
The effects of mushroom chocolates can depend widely on the psilocybin chosen to make the treats. In general, psychoactive psilocybin gives a euphoric high, with psychedelic fractal-like visuals. Many describe the effects of magic mushrooms as extremely relaxing, while large doses can provide an ego-death experience.
Beyond the effects of ingesting psychedelic mushrooms, the chocolate brings its own undeniable and beneficial properties. Cacao has a high nutritional value, containing protein, healthy fats, fiber, and beneficial minerals. In addition, it contains high levels of magnesium, which aid in muscle relaxation. Serotonin, a well-known mood enhancer found in cacao and magnesium and tryptophan, is also found in cacao. It adds an additional boost to the body’s production of new serotonin.
In addition to these beneficial nutrients, the mild levels of MAOIs found in cacao can enhance the psychedelic experience. MAOIs prevent MAO enzymes from breaking down the entheogenic compounds in your body. Ultimately, this slows the body’s ability to flush the these compounds from the system.
As if that wasn’t enough, the list continues for cacao’s beneficial properties. Phenylethylamine (PEA), an organic compound the brain releases when an individual is in love, is also found in cacao, creating feelings of love and happiness. Finally, cacao provides a natural cannabinoid called Anandamide (ANA), similar to THC, offering a blissed-out, joyful feeling.
With all it brings to the table, it’s no wonder that chocolate has been used with psilocybin for thousands of years.
Shroom Chocolates Recipe
You can spruce up shroom chocolates in many ways, as long as powdered psychedelic mushrooms are the base. Combine it with chocolate that can melt (chips, bars, melting chocolate disks). Anything beyond these two ingredients can be added for preference. In addition, if you like coconut or raisins, just add a handful. However, be advised that any desired flavorings should be oil-based and heated separately. Adding a cool substance to your hot chocolate will make it clumpy, and difficult to impossible to work with.
The complexity of this recipe is strictly in the hands of the “chef.” Below, you will find one very simple mushroom chocolate recipe that is a sure crowd-pleaser, which you can easily adjust to preference.
The recipe will make 28 chocolates about the size of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, with 1 gram of mushrooms per chocolate.
- One 12 ounce bag of chocolate chips, or 12 ounces of your favorite meltable chocolate
- One ounce of entheogenic mushrooms (dried)
- 4 tbsp crushed honey-roasted cashews
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp crushed toffee
- Select your favorite psilocybin.
- Grind your well-dried mushroom(s) into a fine powder with a coffee grinder. Make sure it’s evenly ground (you may grind a few batches separately to turn the entire ounce into powder).
- Select the chocolate of your choice.
- Melt your chocolate by double-boiling.
- (To double-boil: First, fill a pot halfway with water. Then put a metal or pyrex bowl slightly larger than the mouth of the pot over the pot so that the bottom half of the bowl is in the water, DO NOT overfill water, or it will get into the chocolate. While microwaving chocolate is an option, it is a high risk for burning the chocolate.)
- Allow chocolate to slightly cool to the touch without hardening. (Note: Burning hot substances can damage the mushrooms.)
- Mix the powdered mushrooms into the melted chocolate. Make sure to stir thoroughly, and break up all clumps of mushroom powder to evenly distribute the psilocybin.
- Add additional ingredients if desired.
- Pour mixture into molds, small paper cups, or a pan lined in wax paper (for molds and paper cups, pour 28 evenly distributed cups or compartments).
- Let cool until chocolate is hardened. Also, a pan with ice water—or placing the poured mixture in the fridge—can speed up the cooling process.
- If chocolate was poured into a pan, cut chocolate into 28 pieces (adjust servings 1:1 per grams of mushrooms used).
Simplified Traditional Xocolatl (Aztec Chocolate) Brew
Since the brew should be ingested within a day, this recipe is meant as a base for two people to add their own desired dosage of entheogenic mushrooms.
Ingredients + Instructions
- Four cups water
- 1/4 cup ground cacao nibs (preferably ground in coffee grinder)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Desired dosage of mushroom(s), finely ground
- Bring water to a low boil and add cacao nibs; stir 5–10 minutes.
- Add vanilla
- Remove from heat and wait until brew is cool to the touch before adding mushroom powder
- Stir thoroughly
- Pour two glasses
What is the Proper Mushroom Chocolate Dosage?
Typically, it is best to measure mushroom chocolates out into grams. One gram of psilocybin is a great foundation to build off of and, for many, the dosage is more than enough. Increasing the dosage up to 3.5 grams can provide a heightened psychedelic experience, to the point of possible ego death, and is only for the most experienced users.
Many mushroom chocolate brands sold on the black market split their dosage into one-gram squares in a larger chocolate bar, while others pour molds, or cut chocolate bricks into squares consisting of one gram. Always ask what variety of mushroom is in the chocolate you are eating. In addition, do your research on the variety to best know the necessary dosage.
How Long Does Shroom Chocolate Take to Kick In?
The effects of mushroom chocolates vary, based on the variety of psilocybin and on the individual ingesting the substance. Likewise, the same goes for the length of time it takes for the effects to kick in.
On average, most effects should be fully activated within 30 minutes. However, some mushrooms may take longer to kick in. Therefore, it’s smart to wait 45 minutes–1 hour before deciding if you want to ingest more psilocybin.
How Long Does Shroom Chocolate Last?
Once again, the length of a trip on mushroom chocolates varies based on the variety of psilocybin and the amount ingested. Typically, one gram of mushrooms can provide up to 3 or more hours of entertainment. Even more can send you on a 5–7 hour ride.
If you are in the mood for a psychedelic psilocybin experience, mushroom chocolates provide a highly preferred option and will definitely not disappoint.
Disclaimer: Chocolate shrooms is potentially categorized as an illegal drug. Reality Sandwich is not encouraging the use or making of this drug where it is prohibited. However, we believe that providing information is imperative for the safety of those who choose to explore this substance. This guide is intended to give educational content and should in no way be viewed as medical recommendations.
RS Contributing Author – Pimienta Fantasma
Pimienta Fantasma is a nature enthusiast and parent of two beautiful children and some amazing animals. Pimienta’s desire to give back to the earth and dive deeper into the beautiful weirdness that is being alive has proven to be nothing short of a wild ride filled with irreplaceable experiences, through snow peaked mountains, lushes valleys, colorful coral reefs (that need our help), dolphin filled waters and the epic wonder of Pimienta’s hummingbird filled garden. Expand your mind and your heart, dance, laugh, explore, learn, speak up and ask questions, is Pimienta’s advice to readers. Pimienta can be found protecting the innocent and trying to live the best life possible.